Update: Headlines are rolling in…
- *TRUMP SAYS U.S.’S NATO ALLIES ARE RAISING DEFENSE SPENDING
- *TRUMP SAYS U.S. COMMITMENT TO NATO REMAINS VERY STRONG
- *TRUMP: NATO MEMBERS HAVE `REALLY STEPPED UP’ DEFENSE SPENDING
- *TRUMP SAYS HE WOULD BE `VERY UNHAPPY’ IF ALLIES DON’T PAY MORE
- *TRUMP SAYS HE WAS `EXTREMELY UNHAPPY’ YESTERDAY
- *TRUMP SAYS NATO BETTER OFF TODAY THAN TWO DAYS AGO
* * *
President Trump is holding an impromptu press conference in Brussels while his fellow NATO leaders are gathered in an unplanned emergency session. The conference is happening amid reports that Trump threatened to pull the US out of NATO.
The speech comes after Trump made a big deal about money and demanded last night that allies meet the 2% threshold immediately, and not by 2024. He has also floated the idea of ‘going it alone’ if allies don’t comply, something which he has said before but he can’t really do without an — unlikely– Congress approval.
Finally, he has also suggested the idea of raising the threshold to 4% throwing the summit into turmoil, in much the same way he did at the Group of Seven in Canada.
Watch Live below:
via RSS https://ift.tt/2NLrhEG Tyler Durden