Rubio: Diplomacy Will Be Rendered ‘Impossible’ If Iran Enacts Hormuz Toll System

Rubio: Diplomacy Will Be Rendered ‘Impossible’ If Iran Enacts Hormuz Toll System

Iran has been seeking to significantly expand the area around the Strait of Hormuz over which it claims military control by this week advancing the newly-created government agency of the “Persian Gulf Strait Authority”.

The agency quickly published a map proclaiming “Iranian armed forces oversight” across more than 22,000 sq km (8,800 sq miles) of the Hormuz waterway. Now, all transit through the strait “requires coordination with and authorization from the Persian Gulf Strait Authority” – the new entity announced.

Of course, Washington has made clear that international vessels must not comply with Iran’s rules. Yet Tehran is Wednesday into Thursday claiming some ‘victories’ in this regard. 

The Iranians say they are in active discussions with Oman to establish a permanent toll system for maritime traffic passing through the strait, according to Iran’s ambassador to France, Mohammad Amin-Nejad.

“Iran and Oman must mobilize all their resources both to provide security services and to manage navigation in the most appropriate manner, prevent pollution, and simply strive to establish an order so that global trade is not subject to disruptions. This will entail costs, and it goes without saying that those who wish to benefit from this traffic must also pay their share,” Amin-Nejad said, as cited in Bloomberg.

Amin-Nejad further asserted the potential costs would be “clear, transparent, reasonable, and logical” – though the system is not yet in place. An initial toll proposal, which some companies may have already paid in order to get their stranded vessels out, was reportedly up to $2 million per tanker.

Iran is also touting that China and and South Korea have been in direct communication to arrange passage of their ships:

Iran continues to control the flow of tankers through the Strait of Hormuz for political and propaganda gains as the war of words continues over the peace negotiations. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) Navy is claiming to have increased the flow with Chinese tankers and the first South Korean tanker permitted to make the transit, while many other vessels continue to wait.

…The IRGC Navy released a statement claiming that in the past 24 hours, a total of 26 vessels safely transited the Strait of Hormuz. It said this included tankers as well as containerships and other vessels. It asserted, however, that they were all “under the coordination and security support” of the IRGC Navy. They said all the ships making the transit had obtained prior authorization and required close coordination with the IRGC. 

South Korea’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced May 20 that its first tanker had been able to make the transit carrying about two million barrels of crude bound for Ulsan. It said there are 25 other South Korean-flagged vessels still caught in the Persian Gulf, but it was significant after Iran refused transit a month ago to another South Korean tanker that was reportedly bound for Pakistan.

If Tehran can attract each country to make separate deals for the passage of their ships, this will be hailed as a ‘win’ for Iran and its Hormuz protocols. 

But the US and its regional allies are not buying into Iran’s narrative, with the UAE having described Iran’s claims of control as “nothing but fragments of dreams.”

And importantly, on Thursday US Secretary of State Marco Rubio stated that a tolling system in the Strait of Hormuz would render a diplomatic deal unfeasible and that the US remains “very upset with NATO” their response to the Iran crisis. He said: 

“A toll collection system in the Strait of Hormuz will make a diplomatic deal impossible.”

“We are very disappointed with NATO allies, we will discuss the issue of troop deployment at the upcoming meeting.”

But at this point, Tehran doesn’t look to be in a rush to complete a deal. Trump could be ready to indefinitely withhold new military strikes, and Iran is busy rearming and regrouping. Also, as enough time passes with the stalemated situation in place, Tehran is likely to convince more countries that they have no choice but to deal with the Islamic Republic directly.

Tyler Durden
Thu, 05/21/2026 – 15:20

via ZeroHedge News https://ift.tt/Th2cJ6B Tyler Durden

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *