US Deploys Aircraft Carrier To Caribbean As Trump Admin Pressures Cuba
The U.S. military command operating in the Western Hemisphere said on May 20 that an aircraft carrier strike group entered the Caribbean Sea, as the Trump administration heaps pressure on the Cuban communist regime.
In a post on X, U.S. Southern Command said that the USS Nimitz is now in the Caribbean and released video footage of the carrier group. Southern Command did not provide more details about why the carrier group traveled to the region.
The Nimitz, it said, “has proven its combat prowess across the globe, ensuring stability and defending democracy from the Taiwan Strait to the Arabian Gulf.”
The Nimitz, commissioned in 1975, carried out joint naval exercises with the Brazilian Navy off the coast of Rio de Janeiro last week, the U.S. Embassy in Brazil said in a May 14 statement.
On May 20, the Department of Justice (DOJ) unsealed a criminal indictment against former Cuban leader Raul Castro, and U.S. Secretary of State Marco Rubio released a video in Spanish urging Cubans to reject the country’s communist leadership.
According to the DOJ indictment, Castro was indicted in connection with the 1996 downing of civilian planes operated by Miami-based exiles. Castro, now 94, was Cuba’s defense minister when the planes were shot down, killing four people.
The charges against Castro, the brother of former Cuban leader Fidel Castro, drew pushback from the country’s current leader, Miguel Diaz-Canel, in a post on X.
“This is a political maneuver, devoid of any legal foundation, aimed solely at padding the fabricated dossier they use to justify the folly of a military aggression against Cuba,” Diaz-Canel wrote.
This year, U.S. President Donald Trump has been ratcheting up talk of regime change in Cuba and said he would potentially initiate a “friendly takeover” of the country if its leadership did not open up its economy to American investment and kick out U.S. adversaries.
When asked what will happen next for the U.S. embargo on Cuba on Wednesday, Trump said, “We’re going to see.” He added that the U.S. government is ready to provide humanitarian assistance to what he described as a failing country.
Trump said that “there won’t be escalation” between the United States and Cuba, adding, “I don’t think there needs to be.”
“Look, the place is falling apart. It’s a mess,” Trump added. “They’ve really lost control of Cuba.”
In Cuba, there is no food, electricity, or energy, Trump said, adding that the U.S. government will have to act to assist the country.
Earlier this month, CIA Director John Ratcliffe traveled to Cuba to meet with the country’s top officials, a visit that came as the country’s energy minister said the island has completely run out of fuel and that its power grid is in a critical state.
In January, the U.S. military launched an operation in Venezuela that captured its president, Nicolas Maduro, an ally of the Cuban regime, and took him to the United States to face drug-trafficking charges.
Since September 2025, the U.S. military has been launching strikes against suspected drug-smuggling boats in the Caribbean and eastern Pacific Ocean in what the military calls Operation Southern Spear.
Tyler Durden
Thu, 05/21/2026 – 17:00
via ZeroHedge News https://ift.tt/sFyLzHG Tyler Durden
